Saturday, March 16, 2013

2013 Gardening Journal - Entry Three March 16

Another great day for gardening prep!

Making a raised bed

I got this raised bed kit from Big Lots after last year's gardening season was over. By then they were 75% off I think, made it around $7.50. I used the back of an old mattress instead of black plastic for weed control. If you have old mattresses around don't throw them out, there are lots of good parts in there if you break it down!

4x4 raised bed

Here is the finished product after adding 4 bags of top soil I got from Lowe's the other day. The bags cost $1.30 each. I think I'll top it off with a bag or two of some compost. By this time next year I hope to have my own compost pile ready to go.

Upcycled Mattress frame turned herb garden bed

Here is another piece from a mattress! This little ladder-type thing was the inside support of a full-size (I think) mattress that was destined for the dump. There are still lots of pieces left in that mattress that I plan on using in some other garden projects. This little bed is right off the front porch and is going to be used for herbs.


Overall it was a productive afternoon!

UPDATE MARCH 17, 2013
Looks like someone else found my garden beds attractive. Grrr. I knew I may have to worry about the neighborhood dogs, I didn't think I'd have to worry about my dog. Afterall, all he ever does is lay around all day. Hmmm. Say hello to Pipes.



Other Links from my Garden Journal:



3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I am constantly looking for stuff to turn into planters. Micah has an old drum set and I keep telling Mike I'm gonna use the bass drum to plant my strawberries in... he's less than enthused. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, maybe once he gets a fresh strawberry pie or some strawberry jam he would like the idea better? Thanks for the tip on the top soil at Lowe's btw, as you can see, I got some ;)

    ReplyDelete