Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Potty Training Diaries Part 2

Mya



Overall, potty training has been a success. After the first several days things have only gotten better. Mya will tell me when she needs to go pee every time now. The only thing that is still an issue is the poop.

Mya has had "stomach issues" for at least a year now. She screams and cries every time she needs to poop. If you saw what she pooped out you understand why, its huge. (Sorry if this is too graphic but I'm sure I'm not the only one with a child who has poop issues) It has gotten so bad that she has resorted to "holding it in". For hours, sometimes a full 24 hours because she knows its going to hurt.


I think what it all boils down to is that she is not getting enough fiber in her diet. I called her doctor and she recommended flax seed. That didn't work so well because I couldn't get her to eat anything I put it in. I bought some wheat germ which is easier to hide and try to slip that into everything that I can. The fact is that she is a picky eater and a light eater. She also won't drink juice very much, only every so often. The pharmacist recommended I speak to her doctor about MiraLAX, that does seem to help a little, but the problem persists.
(Update! We have STOPPED with the Miralax after reading this article: IS MIRALAX THE NEXT VIOXX?)

What this means for potty training is that I spent most of day 6 and 7 in the bathroom with her. She'll start crying and get really still and I rush her to the potty where she seems to get control of it (has it held in good again) and "is done". Until about ten minutes later when go through it all over again. Several times there have been "accidents".

As for the rest, she still wears a diaper at nap and bedtime but she always wakes up dry from her nap. At bedtime she wakes up a little wet but not nearly as wet as pre-potty. She forgot all about our M&M deal the second day in and now she just goes to the potty because that's what she's supposed to do.

I rarely ask her if she has to go, not like the first day or two. Now she tells me but I do make sure she goes before bed or before we go anywhere. And I still cut back on liquids before bed and outings.

I'll keep updating for all you of you and if you haven't already make sure you check out my original post The Potty Training Diaries.

4 comments:

  1. BellyFULLs could help with your daughter's picky and light eating. You could also try adding flax to the whole-food frozen pop recipes.
    http://www.thehopefullcompany.com/products/the-bellyfull-gift-pack
    Hope your little sweetie has some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete